Suspected Christchurch terrorist Bernton Tarrant apparently vowed to kill Muslims a day before the attack – and was praised after the heinous act by his followers on social media.
An anonymous user thought to be Tarrant wrote on notorious right-wing blogging website 8Chan on Thursday: ‘I will carry out an attack against the invaders, and will even live stream the attack via Facebook.’
He shared a link to a video so his supporters in other timezones could watch the massacre and said: ‘By the time you read this I should be going live.’
In a reference to the Viking version of heaven, Tarrant added: ‘If I don’t survive the attack, goodbye, godbless and I will see you in Valhalla’.
Tarrant also posted images of his ammunition and weapons on social media before his attack.
But he was not picked up by police because he was not on the terror watchlist.
Suspected Christchurch terrorist Bernton Tarrant vowed to kill Muslims a day before the attack – and was praised after the heinous act by his followers on social media. Pictured: His sick post
Brenton Tarrant, a 28-year-old White Supremacist from Australia walked into mosques in New Zealand during Friday prayer and opened fire, killing up to 40 people in total
The shooter’s weapons were marked with the names of other people who have carried out attacks
Prime Minister Jacind Ardern confirmed in a press conference: ‘Those, as far as I am advised, currently in custody were not on security watchlist.
‘It is a question if they were known from a security perspective. They were not on any active watchlist.’
Tarrant also told his followers to read his 73-page manifesto that he posted online so that he could be remembered.
The post was written under an anonymous name but was widely circulated on social media by Tarrant’s fans.
Once the attack began, fans cheered him with statements such as ‘HEIL BRENTON TARRANT.’
After the news broke on social media and television, his followers began making threads about the attack and praising him for his role in the massacre.
One user said ‘Haha m*****s got f*****g rekt lol.’
Another said ‘Holy f***, this is amazing.’
Tarrant and three other people have killed up to 40 people after opening fire at several mosques in New Zealand
One user praised Tarrant for his crimes with a Nazi phrase
Another user was found it funny that Muslims had been shot and killed in a mosque
Another user thought the death of up to 40 people was ‘amazing’
Other users went into far more detail with their support for the Christchurch shooter.
One praised him as a hero and went so far as to elude that they wish to commit a similar atrocity to that of Brenton.
‘This man had a great body, good life, ability to settle down and live calm life, but he chose to be a f*****g hero,’ a user said.
‘God bless you Brenton, you were one of us and we shall drink one together if I die death of an hero.’
Another user said they were ‘sad’ that only up to 40 Muslims had been killed by Tarrant.
‘Sadly he didn’t get nearly enough of them,’ the user said.
Another user thought that every man should go into a mosque and mercilessly kill innocent people.
‘If every man had his dedication and determination, we’d be living in a much better place,’ the user said.
‘And for that alone, I salute him.’
Witnesses reported hearing 50 shots and police are responding to the incident at Al Noor Mosque in Christchurch on the country’s South Island. Pictured is a still from a live-stream of the shooting
Four people have been arrested over dual mosque attacks which left 49 dead and 48 injured on New Zealand’s ‘darkest day’.
A gunman, who identified himself as Brenton Tarrant from Grafton in New South Wales, stormed the Al Noor Mosque in Christchurch on the country’s South Island about 1.30pm, opening fire with a semi-automatic shotgun and a rifle on hundreds of defenceless worshippers attending Friday prayers.
A sickening 17-minute video of the unfolding horror shows the self-confessed white supremacist dressed in army fatigues firing mercilessly at people scrambling to flee, and calmly re-loading when he runs out of bullets.
At least 40 people were reported dead as a result of the twin massacres on Friday, with the total rising to 49 within an hour
A man wearing military fatigues (pictured) was arrested outside Papanui High School
At about the same time, there was a second shooting at Masjid mosque in Linwood, where seven more were killed.
In the aftermath of the bloody attacks, three men and one woman were arrested, with police charging ‘one man in his late 20s’ with murder. He will face court Saturday.
Of the 49 fatalities, 41 were killed at the Al Noor Mosque and seven at the Linwood Avenue mosque. Three were outside the mosque itself. A 49th died in hospital.
A further 48 people were rushed to Christchurch Hospital with gunshot wounds, 20 in a critical condition.
New Zealand was placed on ‘high alert’ following the attacks.
TIMELINE OF TERROR
A 28-year-old Australian man entered a mosque in central Christchurch on Friday afternoon and opened fire on people gathered inside the building – killing at least 49 people and leaving more than 20 seriously injured.
This is how the incident unfolded in local New Zealand Time.
1.40pm: First reports of a shooting at a mosque in central Christchurch.
A man entered the mosque with an automatic weapon and opened fire on people inside.
2.11pm: Police confirmed they were attending an ‘evolving situation’ in Christchruch.
Gunshots are heard in the area outside Masid Al Noor Mosque on Deans Avenue.
Witnesses reported hearing multiple gunshots, with one saying she attempted to give CPR to an injured person but they died.
2.17pm: Multiple schools went into lockdown in Christchurch.
People who were in the mosque began to leave covered in blood and with gunshot wounds.
2.47pm: First reports of six people dead, three in a critical condition and three with serious injuries.
2.54pm: Police Commissioner Mike Bush said the situation is ‘serious and evolving’ and told people to remain indoors and stay off the streets.
The Canterbury District Health Board activated its mass casualty plan.
3.12pm: New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern cancelled her afternoon arrangements.
3.21pm: Christchurch City Council locked down many of their central city buildings.
3.33pm: First reports of a bomb in a beige Subaru that crashed on Strickland Street, three kilometres from the shootings.
3.40pm: Police confirmed there were multiple simultaneous attacks on mosques in Christchurch.
3.45pm: Reports of multiple shots fired at the shootings, which are ongoing.
3.59pm: 300 people were reported to be inside the moque.
4.00pm: One person is confirmed to be in custody but there are warnings there may be others out there.
Police commissioner Mike Bush urges Muslims across New Zealand to stay away from their local mosque.
4.10pm: Jacinda Ardern calls Friday ‘one of New Zealand’s darkest days’.
5.27pm: First reports of a second shooting.
A witness said a Muslim local chased the shooters at the mosque in Linwood, firing in ‘self defence’.
5.31pm: Four people are confirmed to be in custody. including one woman.
Multiple fatalities were reported.
7.07pm: It was confirmed an AR15 rifle was used in the attack.
7.20pm: Dunedin Street was cordoned off.
Reports the attackers planned to also target the Al Huda Mosque.
7.26pm: At least 40 people were confirmed dead, Jacinda Ardern confirmed.
7.34pm: Confirmed that 48 people were being treated in hospital.
7.46pm: Britomart train station in central Auckland was evacuated after bags were found unattended.
The bags were deemed not suspicious.
8.35pm: New Zealand’s Government confirmed this is the first time ever the terror level has been lifted from low to high.
9.03pm: Police Commissioner Mike Bush confirms that the death toll has risen to 49.
He also confirmed that a man in his late twenties was charged with murder.